Tuesday, August 19, 2008

and the gates are down...

Since my blog marathon last Sunday I have been on auto-pilot, going non-stop for the last three days. Sunday night there was only one cycling final, so generally it was a fairly easy night. Stupid Great Britain didn't show up, AGAIN for the press conference. Personally, I think it is completely inappropriate that a medalist does not show up for the press conference following the race, not to mention it makes our job difficult. Despite the seemingly easy night I had zero time to do anything else other than lay in my bed and fall asleep. Both Monday and Tuesday we had a lot of medal events so those were crazy nights. I worked a full day Monday. BMX training started Monday so they needed some of us there to talk to the athletes. The BMX riders are so laid back; they are more than willing to talk to anyone and really want to get the sport out there. Unlike with the track people, we were able to wander anywhere, even back by their little rooms. I "ate" what I hope to be my last Chinese box lunch. And by that I mean, rice and chili sauce. I cannot wait to never EVER see a Chinese box lunch again.

Monday night I was copy taker, which meant I sat by the computer and typed in all the quotes after people got them. Tuesday was just utter chaos because in the Men's Madison (similar to the points race, but you have partners and you fling them as a boost to go faster...weird junk) Argentina upset everyone, the Spanish got Silver and the Russians got Bronze. Essentially meaning we were relying on the reporters to translate for us. They were all actually really nice, I used my charming smile and cute red hair to get the Russian journalists to translate. They wouldn't do it for Jason so I sent him away and asked in my sweetest voice if they would translate for me. I think that is the first time I played the girl card. It's quite powerful.

We heard the British anthem a few more times. It is actually very nauseating. We heard a stat the other day from a British reporter, "If the British cycling team was a nation they would be third in the medal count." That's crazy! If I never hear about the British cycling team again, other than if they lost, I will die a happy person. The US proved to be a horrible track cycling team. The girls should have been medal contenders but they both fell short of even making it into the medal races. In Sarah Hammer's defense she was taken out really early in the Points Race and broke her collar bone, but still...come on ladies! I have been so exhausted the last few nights. Tuesday night we didn't get home until 11 and then had to be up today at 6:00am. I know that isn't the end of the world, but when you have been chasing people all day trying to get quotes and dealing with Witchy and Pinky (who, by the way, was wearing a radioactive green shirt on Tuesday, still NOT attractive) you are beat.

Today started BMX competition. To be honest it was kind of lame. The first two hours was watch time-trials all to be seeded for the different heats. It is actually kind of stupid because the time-trial is so different from the actual race that it really does nothing to predict who will win the heats. The reason for it is to place the riders in their gate numbers. The US is looking pretty good. There is only one woman, but the men all made it through quarterfinals and on to semi-finals. I would love more than anything to have a sweep, but I'll take a Mike Day Gold medal if that is all I can get. One the time-trials were over it got much better. The announcer was the most annoying man on the planet. I am fairly convinced that he is from California and best friends with John Madden. One of my favorite lines of the day was "And this is Billy Bob and boy does he love BMX." Honestly man?! What person PARTICIPATING in BMX at the Olympics doesn't LOVE BMX. Thank you Madden. Each and every race he said, "and the gates are down..." Seriously, it gets old after about two times. I got close to taking the mic away and announcing the event myself. Anyway, listen for him tonight. ANNNOYING!

Today I was back in the broadcast area getting translations from everyone under the sun. Two French girls, a french guy, two Latvians, a Colombian. Of course none of us know any of these languages so we are at the mercy of the TV people to give us an accurate translations. The French camera man was the best! Not only did he translate, but he listened back to get the real translation. Him and I are best friends. I don't even have to ask anymore and he gives me the translation. I like that.

We went to the now infamous Annie's again. I had the creamy spinach ravioli again, I never know when I might ever eat this again so I had to soak up all it's goodness. I think the sauce is an Alfredo sauce, and as long as I learn how to make spinach ravioli I am golden. Traci said she would make it for me. I told her I could make her tacos...I am such a chef. Maybe I'll make her my special rice stuffed tomatoes. YUMMMY!

Tomorrow is probably the single greatest day of my entire life. I know, how can I choose one given all I have been through, but this might take the cake. Per some advice from a very wise woman (Mom) I bought at ticket to go see the Women's Bronze and Gold Medal soccer games tomorrow!!! For as long as I can remember I have wanted to play soccer for the USA team. Seeing as I turned down my place on the team, I was just too good, I thought this can take the place of that dream. Val and I are so incredibly excited. The USA is playing in the Gold medal match against Brazil (who could ask for anything better?!) and I will be there! In group 15, section 115 row 7. I have zero clue where that is, and I don't care. I already have my USA shirt and I might go pick up some more Olympic gear tomorrow (that might actually means I will).

Well I have BMX really early, then a day of shopping (I am currently participating in the shopping marathon event, right now I am in 2nd but I feel with the USA Olympic store trip I will easy jump to Gold), and the soccer game. Long, but super exciting day. Hope for some medals! We have to stay on top! I can't hear the Chinese national anthem one more time. I will hurt myself.

1 comment:

Ober said...

LOVE the shoutout to madden. with all your flash quoting skills, i expect you take notes during football season since we will not be together...