Friday, July 18, 2008

Sorry all for the delay in updates, life has just been so crazy here. Actually, that is a lie. I just get wrapped up in all the excitement that I forget. I guess Tuesday is where I left off. Tuesday started training. At 7:30 we were shuttled to a hotel, some where in the city (typically I have zero clue where I am in this city except for the building I am in. I have no concept of where things are in relation to each other. It's fun.) So anyway. Given that Beijing probably has the worst traffic in the ENTIRE world, it took almost two hours to get about 20 min away. I think. I am not going to lie, there wasn't much about training that was overly riveting. The first session of the day they gave us an over view of Infostrada, which is the company that is in charge of all the flash quote reporters, but we are still under BOCOG. It is so incredibly complicated. I did find out that we had to act professional, I know big surprise. However, this means that no photos can be taken while I am working. I know, bummer. I did have a good laugh during lunch. One of the rules they gave us as we were walking out the door was NOT to talk to any media without permission from our boss. As we were filing out to go down to lunch a girl, who in no way was able to ask permission because she was like the 3rd person out the door, was being interviewed by the media. Oh people who can't listen.

Following lunch we had the second half of the training. That was basically an overview of the quizzes I have been doing this semester/an overview of what I will be doing in two weeks. It was at this moment I realized how lucky I am to be here. Now, don't get me wrong. I have always felt honored and valued the fact that I was chosen but this put the icing on the cake. Over 1.3 million people applied to be a volunteer, totally shattering the previous record of 450,000. On top of that, there are only 951 people in the position I am in. ONLY 951 foreign students were chosen. Pretty freaking awesome.

Since most of us had to wake up early again on Wednesday for more training it was a low key night. Christina hosted story time, reading Cosmo to Patrick and me, followed by a little reading of my own before bed. Like I said, nothing too exciting.

No comments: