Wednesday, August 6, 2008

black magic...

As I mentioned this morning, I totally goofed on the Olympic Torch Relay. While I was waiting to leave for work I turned on the TV because I had nothing better to do. I flipped the channels to see if I could find the BOB (Beijing Olympics Broadcasting) channel and while in the process I was shocked to see what looked like people carrying a torch in the Forbidden City. About thirty seconds later I was screaming because I had realized what I missed. Upon further internet research I learned that the Torch arrived here at 4:30am Beijing time to begin the final leg of the relay before the flame is lit on Friday. I was pretty upset I missed this because I totally would have deprived myself of sleep just to see it. (I'll make up for this later in the day.)

We didn't have to be at work until 10:30, which is why you are being graced with three blogs in less than 24 hours. More athletes came today. The entire Dutch team (including the one and only Theo Bos) came. For all of you who don't know, the Dutch, British, and Australian teams are the super stars of track cycling. The Dutch coach/trainer said that he would not allow us to ask questions today but tomorrow we could. Later he came over to talk to us about all the places he has visited in the US and even dabbled in a little political talk. After which he became worried that we were recording him and backed up his comments with, "I am not here for the politics. I am here for sport.”

Before I continue on I should probably explain the protocol for this whole thing. In my last blog I mentioned that this week the athletes arrive. They are given allotted training times and can come and go during that time as they choose. During these training times we are trying to talk to as many people as possible to get quotes. It is more to establish a rapport and make sure that when the Games start they can recognize a few faces and maybe even seek us out. Anyway, you can't just walk up to an athlete, you must ask first. If one of the managers is there he or she will go talk to a coach or trainer to ask if it is ok. They will then say yes or no. Today we got a lot of "not today's." The German team initially said yes, but they were running late for a party. The sole Ireland cyclist allowed us to interview him but sadly I wasn't there. USA is allowing only one person per day (they are in a bit of trouble for arriving in gas masks).

For some reason I am really nervous about talking to the athletes. I don't know if I am star struck or suddenly lost my gift of gab, I know scary, but I can't chalk up enough courage to go talk to anyone. I didn't come all the way over here to sit on the sideline so I asked one of the boys if I could go with when he talked to the Belgium team. He said yes but only if I asked one question. A little later Krystyna walked the two of us over there to talk to the two Belgium cyclists. This is where I met my future husband. He doesn't know my name and he is married, but it was meant to be. I will let you know when I things are finalized. Anyway, we asked a few questions, took some notes, and that was that. Not so bad. Getting a shot is worse. These two guys Kenny and Iljo gave amazing responses. Typically it is hard to get an athlete to elaborate, let along create a coherent, quality thought. They both had excellent, none cliché responses, that lasted for more than five seconds and gave some MONEY quotes. To make it even better, they had excellent English. If you read an article about the Belgium cyclists that was me!!

While I was typing up the quotes Jason comes running down to tell me one of the torch bearers is upstairs. I sprinted up and took my picture with the torch. I felt horrible asking for a photo but as Jason said, "It's a once in a life time thing." I was so freaking excited.

Tonight we celebrated Andrea's birthday. It was the greatest feast known to man. Pizza, peanut butter and jelly, Snickers, chips, Doritos, CHEEEEESE, crackers, milk, cereal....and to top it all off a BEAUTIFUL, delicious cake from Paris Baguette. It was the perfect meal. Val and I rushed through it because we wanted to watch the women's soccer game. Unfortunately though, China and Sweden were on instead. It was during this time that my roommate came screeching out of the bathroom. I soon discovered that our shower was flushing black water out of the showerhead. There is a disaster left in the bathroom and I am fairly certain that I won't be taking a shower for the duration of this trip. Honestly, I would be cleaner. Right now I am sitting in my bed wishing I had Madden '08 and my PS2 because it would just make this day perfect. The Bears play tomorrow so I am pretty stoked about that and Friday is OPENING CEREMONY! What more can I ask for in two days? Oh wait, I can talk to some athletes! What a horrible life I am living. Time to go deal with the disaster that is the bathroom. CIAO!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pictures?

Alysha Daytner said...

i want the gold.

i wanna know where da gold's at.

ima get me a back-hoe and uproot dat tree.